Please contact your account representative to enable this feature.
- Log into the google account associated with the website you want to integrate with Critical Impact.
- Navigate to https://console.developers.google.com
- In the drop down in the upper left corner, click Create project. This project will be for integrating your Google account with Critical Impact for Analytics reporting. Name the project whatever you'd like and click Create.
- Click Library on the left side menu.
- Click Analytics Reporting API (or search for it and then click it).
- Click Enable at the top if it is not already enabled.
- Navigate back to https://console.developers.google.com
- Click Credentials on the left side menu.
- Click Create Credentials and then Service account.
- Enter any account name you'd like, then click Create.
- For Role, select Viewer (Read Access to all resources). Click Continue.
- Click Done on step 3 ("Grant users access to this service account").
- You should be back on the Service Accounts tab. Find the Service account you just created, click the 3 dots to the right of it, then click Edit.
- Click the Add Key drop down, then click Create New Key.
- Click For Key type, select JSON.
- Click Create. A .json file with your key will be downloaded to your computer. Keep this file for use in future steps. The pop up dialog may be dismissed.
- Go back to the Service Accounts tab. Copy the email address that was just generated for your service account (under the Service account ID column) and paste it somewhere for future reference.
- Navigate to https://analytics.google.com/analytics/web
- Choose the Account, Property/App, and View you want to get analytics for from the upper left drop down menu. Make note of the View ID which should be underneath the name of the view you selected. The view ID can also be found here under View (make sure the correct Account, Property, and View are selected): https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/account-explorer/
- Click Admin on the left side menu.
- Under the site's View column (far right column), click View User Management.
- Click the plus icon at the top right and select Add Users to add a new user. Paste your Service Account email address (from step 17) into the box. Under Permissions, select Read & Analyze for the permissions. Click Add.
- In Critical Impact, go to Account -> Account Preferences.
- Click Google Analytics Settings.
- In the pop up, paste your view ID (from step 19) and the contents of the .json key file (from step 16) in the corresponding text boxes. Click Save.
- To automatically add an encrypted subscriber id to your Google Analytics links, click Edit Company Settings on the Account Preferences page.
- Change the value of Default UTM Content to: %%l_encryptemailid%%. After saving your changes, you will need to log out and back in again for the changes to go into effect.
- You can also change the values of Default UTM Source and Default UTM Medium to whatever values you like. These will be the auto-fill values for screens that have the GA Tracking options, such as the send screen. If you've made any changes to your company settings, you will need to log out and back in again for the changes to go into effect.
- You can view a report of Google Analytics data for any sends that have Google Analytics Link Tracking enabled by going to Reports -> Email Tracking.
- Select the send that has Google Analytics Link Tracking enabled and click View Tracking Report.
- If the integration is set up properly, the Google Analytics data will be displayed under the Google Analytics tab.
Do I have to enable Google Analytics Link Tracking for every send?
Yes, when you schedule a send from the account, you will need to enable Google Analytics Link tracking, so that you will see all the correct GA reporting for that specific send.
How many websites can the Google Analytics Integration be set up for?
At this time, each account can be connected with one website's Google Analytics data. If you have multiple sub accounts, each sub account can be connected with a different website as well.