What are Triggered Emails?
Triggered emails are a way to use an existing send over and over again, using mail merge values and subscriber custom fields to personalize the email.
A few examples of commonly used triggered emails are:
- Welcome to our newsletter/list
- Confirmation of an action, such as a subscription
- Followup email after a purchase, transaction or conversion
- To send an automatic followup when a subscriber clicks on a certain link in an email campaign
How to Create a Triggered Message to Use with the Advanced Automation Tool
- Go to Messages -> Advanced Automation
- Click the button called Convert message to triggered message
- Select the message you'd like to use in the automation
- Select the proper subject line, from address, etc, for the triggered message
- Confirm the message details, and click Create Triggered Message
How to Create a Triggered Email to Use with the API
Triggered emails are typically initiated through the API on the client side, meaning, customers will need to write some basic custom code to "call" or initiate the trigger command in Critical Impact.
To create a triggered email:
- Create the message you want to trigger, then save it.
- Next, send the email to a list in the system. (This list can be empty, or contain one subscriber). By sending taking the above steps, the system will generate a Job ID for the email, as well as a report, so that any opens or clicks (once you start triggering) will be logged in the Email Tracking dashboard.
To begin using this triggered message with the API, you'll need to locate the Job ID.
- Click the Reports folder.
- Click Email Tracking.
- Click on the job you'd like to use as a triggered message.
- Click on the "Enable as triggered message" button as seen below. Note: if you do not see this option, please contact your account manager to have it enabled.
- You'll receive a pop-up window showing the Job ID of the triggered email to use in API calls. See graphic below.
- Additional details are included in the pop-up, regarding use of the triggered Job ID in various scenarios. You may click on the "Enable as triggered message" if you need to reference this information again. The Job ID and other information will remain the same.
Note: A specific triggered email will only be sent to a subscriber one time, regardless of the amount of times it's requested. So it's not possible to send multiple copies of the same Job ID to the same subscriber. Please take this into account while testing triggered sends.