Import SMS List
To create a new SMS list, follow the steps in the How to Create a New SMS List wiki article. Then import a list of SMS subscribers to an existing list using the Import SMS tool.
Make sure that the list is saved in CSV format. There also must be an SMS number for each subscriber on the list, or they will not be imported into the list.
Step 1: Import SMS List
- Click SMS in the left-side menu, then click Import SMS
- Click Import into Existing List. (To create a new SMS List, follow the steps in the How to Create a New SMS List Wiki article.)
- Select the list(s) to import the SMS numbers into. If you select multiple lists, your new data will be imported into each selected list.
- Choose the Import file delimiter: whether your list values are separated by commas (.CSV), spaces, or tabs.
- Subscriber Conflicts: Decide what to do when subscribers are already in the database.
- To upload your list, select either to upload from a file or to copy and paste the list in the format previously indicated as the Import File Delimiter.
Note: The import will automatically clean duplicates from the list. Also, no confirmation messages will be sent to your list, because we trust that you've already received permission.
Step 2: Map Columns of Imported Data to Custom Fields
Match each column of data you would like to import to a custom field. Ignore all columns you don't want to import into the system.
Note: If you name the custom field the same name as a header row in your data, the field will automatically map to that custom field. This can save a lot of time if you use many custom fields.
- To map the imported data column to a custom field in the system, select the correct custom field drop down option.
- If you want to map a column of data to a custom field that does not appear in the drop down selection, click Add New Custom Field.
- Name the custom field.
- Optional: give the custom field a default value which will be inserted whenever this custom field is left blank for a subscriber.
- Check the Editable on Profile Center box to allow subscribers to update/edit this field on the Profile Center.
- Save and Close the window. Then select the new custom field from the drop down
Note: All fields must be mapped and one of the fields must be assigned to "SMS Number."
- Click Ignore All Unassigned to ignore all of the columns not assigned to a custom field.
Step 3: SMS Import List Information
Describe the origin of the imported list. We have a strict policy against SPAM, so please make sure that you are using the contact information for the purpose for which permission was given to you.
View Imported List
After the list is imported (this may take a while if it is a large list), view the list in the Subscribers & Lists, Lists folder. Click the list then click View List.